Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Just Who Is: Serena Ryder

Just Who Is: Serena Ryder

Born and raised in Canada, 31 year old singer songwriter Serena Ryder, sings with such power that you can’t help but be captivated by her songs. Her brand of soulful, bluesy rock matches with her five octave range and flawless forward resonance.

Ryder’s passion for singing started at the age of seven when she would sing at hotels and legions. She moved on to performing with bands like Three Days Grace in the 1990’s. Since then, she opened for Aerosmith in 2007, won Best New Artist at the JUNO Awards in 2008 and released six studio albums. Her music has been featured on shows like Gossip Girl, Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice. At the time, Ryder’s fan base mostly resided in Canada but with her newest release, Stompa (which has gone platinum twice since it’s 2012 release) she may break out in the States soon.

From the pop rock feel of Stompa to the desperate cry for love in Please Baby Please, Ryder covers all bases in her music. Her voice transforms from powerhouse belting like Adele to an airy, longing like Lana Del Ray. Her voice is so versatile, she can sing almost anything.

Ryder used to cling to her guitar, using it to write the majority of her songs with the influence of Fleetwood Mac and Neil Young in mind. But in her most recent album, Harmony, she’s loosened the grip on her pick. Changing the dynamic of her songs from rock gospel to a more current pop while staying true to her original style.

Some listeners scrutinize her lyrics while others praise her feminine power and songwriting. Any singer can hit the right notes and keep a catchy beat. But the emotion layered deeply in her slightly raspy voice surpasses the skill of other artists around.