Five reasons to see “Shrek the Musical”

Schaefer Thelen, Sports Editor

The first weekend of “Shrek the Musical” has concluded, however, three more shows remain: Friday, Nov. 21 and Saturday, Nov. 22 at 7 p.m. plus a matinee on Saturday, Nov. 22 at 2 p.m. Here’s five reason you should make time in your schedule this upcoming weekend to see “Shrek the Musical.”

The Dragon

There’s really two pieces to the dragon in the play – a huge dragon puppet that is pushed around the stage and the actual part played by senior Kenzie Trowbridge – both of which are incredible. Trowbridge hits every single note and shows off her amazing voice in the song “Forever” as she chases around a frightened Donkey, and the puppet dragon follows close behind Trowbridge giving the audience an awesome visual as if it were the actual film.

The set

My first impression of the play came when the curtains rose to unveil the impressive scenery. It was not your typical set. Every backdrop, from the blue sky filled with clouds to the dark, starry night, was very visually appealing. The giant moon, created by Paul Yu, was what particularly stuck out. Between Yu, the scenic artists Kerrie Barney, Irene Sipe, and Kaitlin Carrell, and the long list of scenic painters, the whole set was highly artistic and engaging. Too add to it, the orchestra pit musicians, directed by orchestra teacher Melissa Meyers, did an exceptional job as well.

Donkey

When junior Josiah Masvero took the stage alongside Shrek (senior Alexander Price) dressed in his gray donkey suit, hooves and all, and spoke his first lines, I could have sworn it was the voice of the great Eddie Murphy himself. Throughout the production, Masvero not only pulls off a spot-on Donkey impersonation, but he gives the crowd countless reasons to laugh. Donkey is easily one of the best played roles in the entire play.

The Costumes

For the entire duration of the play, I kept staring at Shrek and Fiona’s ogre ears and wondering to myself “How did they pull that off?” This was the case for many of the characters’ costumes, whether it be Lord Farquaad and his hysterically short stature or Papa and Mama Bear and their three little bear cubs. Props to the long list of costume designers – their contributions were a undoubtedly a huge part of the play’s success.

Fiona(s)

Senior MyKenzie Miller plays the main role of Fiona and did a great job with both acting and singing. However, one of the play’s best moments was the singing of “I Know It’s Today” as young Fiona (junior Sophia Barron), teen Fiona (sophomore Maiya Yu), and grown up Fiona (Miller) danced around their tower. The culmination of three talented vocalists was very powerful and definitely a highlight of the production.

Tickets are available at www.ghaps.org