New a cappella choir forms

New+a+cappella+choir+forms+

Dallas Eslick, Entertainment Editor

A new kind of choir began Dec. 4.

Like any other choir, there was singing involved in the practice. However, this choir has more kinds of singing than the school based ones because its an a capella choir.

“We will learn and sing music from today’s pop tunes and classic hits from the last few decades,” choir teacher and club facilitator Benjamin Rodgers said. “However, we will not use any instruments to create the music that would typically be played by a drummer, guitarist, pianist, etc…  It will all be done with our voices, think Pitch Perfect.

The club plans to meet every Thursday from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Anyone who has a passion for music is encouraged to join.

“I have been wanting to start an a cappella group since my freshman year but it was always too busy and never happened,” junior and club leader Jessica Draper said. “I am so happy that I can be a part of it! It’s going to be awesome.”

Due to the fact that the group is a club, they are not funded through the school so a $20 music fee is required from each group member in order to pay for music. Specific songs and performances are still to be determined.

“I’ve always loved this style of music, so we just started throwing the idea around and it seemed to gain some momentum,” Rodgers said. “I grew up listening to contemporary a cappella music way before it’s current popularity today and have always wanted to get students experiencing the musical genre, so I’m hoping I can do just that through this club.”