New technology bond on horizon

Students and teachers have taken advantage of smart boards, laptops and computer labs.This is only the starting block of where the tech department wants to be. Grand Haven Area Public Schools is hoping to integrate even more new technology in the future with the passing of a bond.

Doug Start, the district’s technology director, hopes for a big change in class.

“[The bond would include] increasing the access that students have to computers and devices for use in their classrooms,” Start said. “It would be a refresh of our infrastructure to give us better bandwidth. And it would be an expansion of our wireless system.”

In regards to who will be affected by the bond, Start thinks it will be district wide.

“Really everybody [will be affected],” Start said. “At least from a technology standpoint we are hoping to make steps forward.”

A group led by Start composed of teachers, business leaders, school board members and parents  is looking at the potential next step needed in our district as far as technology.

“They are pulling together the information,” superintendent Keith Konarska said. “They’ve done some site visits to other districts, they’ve looked at what business expectations may be going forward for our students. They will continue to bring that information to the board regarding future needs.”

Though there isn’t a formal proposal yet, the board did have a recent work session that dealt with the potential needs of new technology.

“Right now the board is still getting preliminary information looking at what the future needs are going to be in the district,” superintendent Keith Konarska said. “There’s been no final decision made. As they review the information in detail they’ll have discussion about it.”

May would be the soonest the board could put a possible bond on the ballot, if they decide to do so. Generally elections occur during May and November.

Voters in the district have shown interest in previous bond proposals dealing with technology.

“The use of smartboards creates a much better learning environment,” junior Brody Meyers said. “ So new technology would help me even more.”

Whether or not the board goes for the bond is undecided.

“The last time we went out for a bond we offered a couple of different options,” Start said. “As far as how much of a tax increase there would be, we are waiting for the board to put together what they want in those packages.”