Cafeteria menu gets healthier

Emily Bruch, News Editor

Tucked away in the back of the cafeteria kitchen is a cramped cluttered office where Sarah Stone, the director of dining, makes plans for what food will be served. Her newest challenge is figuring out how to accommodate changes being enforced by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Starting this school year, the cafeteria will only serve whole grain/whole wheat food items, therefore all bread items will be whole wheat, and white rice will have to be replaced by brown rice. Also, many of the prepackaged snacks at the snack bar will have to be replaced by smaller servings or cut down, as all snacks will have to be under 200 calories.

“If you eat candy bars or junk food, that’s not giving your body the right nutrients in order for you to study and do well in class,” Stone said. “So they’re changing it because hopefully if everybody eats healthier, it will improve grades.”

Since Stone took over as director of dining in January, she has made changes of her own to the lunch menu.

“I really like to use a lot of local produce when it’s in season, so you’ll probably see a lot of that next year, some more local seasonal fruits and vegetables,” Stone said.

Stone has high hopes that students react well to the changes.

“Hopefully they won’t see much of a change, or notice,” Stone said. “But I guess time will tell.”