Blocked websites on Chromebooks

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

In the past weeks, the district decided to restrict more internet content, blocking social media sites such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

“With the updated technology we now have the ability to specifically limit certain areas,” assistant principal Mike Roberson said. “One of those areas is social media. So we got feedback from students, staff and parents through various means, to look at the purpose of social media in school. Is there a benefit or is it distracting?”

While most teachers and parents supported this change and hope for good results, many students do not feel the same way.

“I think it’s kind of stupid,” sophomore Joey King said. “It blocks ways of communication out of school for kids that don’t have smartphones.”

These new restrictions also shocked students that never thought it was an issue. Some were alarmed when when the administrators made this change.

“It hasn’t made it any easier to stay on task,” sophomore Morgan Dreese said. “I never felt like it effected me in class in the first place, so now it’s just frustrating that the school doesn’t trust us to be able to stay on task, so they have to block everything.”

The administrators decided that social media was too much of a distraction and takes focus away from the classroom. Also, with cyber bullying still an issue, it seemed like the right idea.

“Our goal as a district is to increase student learning,” Roberson said. “So, taking away those distractions should have a positive impact.”