Students donate blood at annual drive

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

Kelly Klouw, Reporter

For many, donating blood is something that’s not really thought of as a big deal. However, for some people, such as ones that have been in a car accident, cancer patients, or burn victims, blood donations can be the savior in a life or death situation.

The first out of the three blood drives that take place at school kicked off Friday, November 11th.

“I did it because my mom does it and I want to help people in need,” Junior Olivia Sanborn said.

To prepare for this event, students were recommended to eat a large breakfast along with lots of snacks before they came in. It was also important to drink lots of water a week in advance. 

Aside from helping people in need, participating in the blood drive has other benefits as well.

“It’s awesome,” team leader from Michigan blood, Jennifer Nelson said. “With our high school program, if you donate six times before graduation, you get a red chord.”

The donated blood goes back to Michigan Blood’s lab, then goes to all different hospitals around the state that need it.

“I would definitely do it again,” Senior Kate Nowak said. “It’s a good thing to do. If someone is in trouble and they need blood, then they can have it. They have a chance of helping someone survive.”