From football to fútbol

Junior Connor Jettner trades in his helmet and shoulder pads for shin guards and soccer cleats

Junior+Connor+Jettner+races+Rockford+defender+to+the+ball+in+a+home+contest+on+Tuesday%2C+Sept.+16.+Jettners+constant+pressure+on+the+Rams+defense+helped+the+Bucs+win+2-0.+

James Harding

Junior Connor Jettner races Rockford defender to the ball in a home contest on Tuesday, Sept. 16. Jettner’s constant pressure on the Ram’s defense helped the Bucs win 2-0.

Adam Abraham, Senior Staff Writer

A year ago junior Connor Jettner was padded up on the football field. But after a summer of kicking a ball around and a proposition from a friend, Jettner decided to return to a game he once loved.

“A year ago I would’ve never imagined myself playing soccer,” Jettner said. “It wasn’t even a thought.”

From age 9 to 12, Jettner played for the Tri-Cities soccer club, Strikers. Though he enjoyed playing soccer on a team with his friends, Jettner always aspired to play football. So when his parents finally allowed him to, he kicked soccer to the side.

“I didn’t want to continue [soccer] because I always loved playing football,” Jettner said. “Not that I ever played, I just loved playing football and wanted to try it out.”

After two years of high school football, Jettner decided that it wasn’t his forte. However, playing soccer again was still an afterthought.

Until junior David Krapohl came along.

Krapohl, who was injured in the off season, helped Jettner come back to soccer. They went to the field and shot around every other day and Krapohl set up various passing and dribbling drills once a week.

“He hadn’t played since like 8th grade so he was pretty rusty,” Krapohl said. “So we went out like every other day and did different passing drills, shooting drills and dribbling drills. I saw a lot of improvement from him from the two months we’d been working together.”

Jettner attributes his success in transitioning back to soccer to the time he put in training with Krapohl and playing drop-ins before the season. But the confidence boost that propelled Jettner to play was a successful tryout for Lakeshore Premiere.

“I tried out for Lakeshore premiere before the school season and I made it,” Jettner said. “After that, I was thinking if I could make Lakeshore Premiere then I’m pretty sure I can make the school team.”

He was right. Not only did Jettner make the team, but he would exceed expectations.

Jettner was one of the last players to make the cut. Bucs’ soccer fans didn’t expect to see him on the field because initially his role wasn’t supposed to be substantial.

“He’s playing a much bigger role than what he thought when we first finished tryouts,” head coach Aaron Dean said. “As a program we talk about making the most of your moments and Connor did that early and has continued to do so.”

This new role didn’t come overnight. Jettner worked hard in practice and got a chance to show what he could do.

“After a few practices I finally got into the game and I was going to make the most of the opportunity,” Jettner said. “I ended up playing pretty well so after that I got more playing time.”

With more playing time came more opportunities to score. The junior made a statement on a Tuesday night against Muskegon Mona Shores when he fired in his first goal of the season.

“I was so hype,” Jettner said. “I haven’t had that big of an adrenaline rush in my entire life. The crowd was super pumped and it was just awesome.”

The games came easier to Jettner after getting his first goal out of the way. He proceeded to score in the next two home games.

Though he admits that scoring is a priority and beneficial to the team, Jettner’s main goal is to be the “energy guy” for the Buccaneers.

“I don’t play the most, I’m not a starter, I’m not the best ball handler,” Jettner said. “I just love bringing the energy. That’s just a huge part in any sport.”

Dean greatly appreciates the energy and attitude that Jettner brings to practice and games. However, solely saying he has high energy doesn’t give him enough credit for what he does.

“[What he does] requires working harder than others on fitness, on preparing yourself mentally, and pressing on when your body wants to slow down,” Dean said. “Unfortunately not all athletes are willing to suffer in the ways that are necessary to play with his ‘energy’.”

Dean describes him as “a kid that most would consider a non-traditional soccer player.” Which is understandable considering he stands at a humble 5’3”. Jettner has shown that regardless of his stature or the sport he’s playing, there comes a point where you just have to compete.

And compete is what Jettner does best.

“If you want to do something you can just go and do it,” Jettner said. “I never imagined myself playing soccer again. If you work at it and if you really want it. You can do anything.”