March Madness tournament tips off

Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

One in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808.

Those are the odds of accomplishing the seemingly impossible- the perfect bracket. All around the nation, the young and not so young compete alike. Use of mathematical equations, superstitions and whatever their gut tells them about what team they have going all the way and winning the ‘Big Dance’. The fanatics feel the hysteria, the intensity and especially the fun of March madness.

“Making a March Madness bracket is a fun way to stay active in the tournament,” senior Mason Harloff said. “Even if you are going in blind you can still have a good time with it.”

Harloff has watched many of the NCAA tournaments in the past, making multiple strong brackets based off stats, tendencies, and other key traits to each team.

“My two top teams are Michigan and UCLA,” Harloff said. “Michigan is one of my top teams because Moritz Wagner (Michigan forward) has been playing really well lately and he’s from Germany so that is unique. Also UCLA because Lonzo Ball (UCLA point guard) has been going off and I expect great things for him in this tournament.”

Sophomore Ashton Voorhees is another fanatic of March Madness and what it has to offer each and every year. The unpredictable and unimaginable moments is what Voorhees lives for.

“March Madness matches some great teams against each other and there are always upsets and cinderella teams (underdogs) that are entertaining to watch,” Voorhees said. “You never know what team is gonna make a run.”

Similar to Harloff, Voorhees also has UCLA as top-dog of college basketball when it’s all said and done.

“I think UCLA is going to win it all because they score a lot of points and work well as a team,” Voorhees said.

Even a guy like Aaron Smaka, who is a volleyball wizard being the Head Volleyball Coach, does also love his college basketball. Particularly the NCAA tournament.

“I think the March Madness tournament is unlike any other tournament,” Smaka said. “You always get the best team that wins. There is the element of chance that on any given day, you could have somebody go down.”

Smaka has had a bracket pool with his family and began a Grand Haven Volleyball bracket pool two years ago to get more people to participate in the action. No cost to enter, just to engage and have fun, with free prizes for the winners at the end.

“I thought it was a way to promote the program,” Smaka said. “We thought we could offer our own and we obviously thought let’s see how many people we can get involved in it and let’s give away some free stuff.”

Smaka made this volleyball bracket tournament on the idea for the entertainment and fun between people from what March Madness brings.

He believes that people should try it out and make a bracket. Little risk and a guarantee to have a good time.

“Even if you’re not involved in sports, they seed teams for a reason,” Smaka said. “Pick the highest seed and go with it.”