Senior Column: Kaia Hayes

No rest for the wicked

Kaia Hayes, Editor-in-Chief

The night of my last cross country banquet, I looked down at the small framed photo given to me as a parting senior gift. Like most running action shots, it really served to capture my natural beauty. A sagging, reddened face framed by wisps of sweaty hair escaped from my double hair tie, the cramped, deteriorated posture of someone nearing the end of a death crawl to the finish line– all supported by the bulging glory of a mid-stride leg switch, my quads distorted by four directions of gravity in the beautifully timed kodak moment. Fortunately after initial dismay, I was able to look past the glaring deformities and appreciate the symbolism of the captured moment: I was checking my watch.

In so many ways, the concept of time was a major theme of my high school experience, especially my senior year. Saving it, spending it, checking it, attempting to make the most of it. For someone with more interests and hobbies than fingers to count them on, finding a balance between physical and emotional well-being and cramming as much as possible into the surprisingly limited hours of the day can be a daunting logistical feat. It means late nights and early mornings, stacked schedules and brief appearances.  And it definitely means those accidental in-class naps aren’t enough to offset the massive sleep debt I’ve accumulated over the months.

It’s worth it.

I’ve gotten so much from everything I chose to devote my time to, the people I’ve met in the process; I can’t even begin to imagine what my life would have been like without them. Bucs’ Blade, Science O, cross country, Interact–  fitting it together wasn’t always easy, and it wasn’t always fun. But it was always rewarding.  I don’t think it’s possible to describe the relationship one has with any of these; so much of the experience– the good, the bad, the highs and lows– can’t be put into words. What can be said is that anything and everything you have do is worth the opportunity to pursue something you love.

So pick yourself up and focus on what’s in front of you. Ask yourself if what you’re doing is something you’re really passionate about, ask what it’s bringing to you and to your life. Make time for the things that add satisfaction, and do away with those that merely suck it away and leave you content to let life pass you by. Muster up the energy to overcome your inertia and the siren’s call of your bed, the free-flowing excuses and the warm red glow of netflix on your screen. There’s time enough to sleep in the grave.