Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Lakeshore chapter of My Team Triumph races with 5 area students

Members of myTeam Triumph-Lakeshore Chapter, an athletic racing ride-along program for those with disabilities who wish to race with assistance,  participated in the  Old Boy’s Brewhouse Oktoberfest 5k in Spring Lake this past Saturday, Sept 28. Teenagers Bradley Langemaat ( Zeeland), Gatlin Swinton (Grand Haven), Alex Priese (Grand Haven), Travis Renkena (Grand Haven), and Morgan Ream (Muskegon), referred to as “captains” raced with the help of program volunteers, known as “angels.”

English teacher Tom Foley, an Angel and member of the organization’s board, has been personally touched by the program.

“It has put a different quality to racing for me, I still want to do my own races and things like that but its pretty special to be out there and see the joy in the captains faces,” Foley said.

The myTeam Triumph-Lakeshore Chapter was started by Grand Haven teacher Derek Warner after the success of assisting Langemaat, a junior with cerebral palsy,  enter the Seahorse Challenge Triathlon course this past May as a member of his Triathlon training class.

For more information on myTeam Triumph-Lakeshore Chapter visit their website http://www.mtt-lakeshore.org

Full story in October issue.