Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Previews: Danny Brown- Old

Previews: Danny Brown- Old

Described by MTV as “one of rap’s most unique figures in recent memory,”  artist Danny Brown streamed his fourth album, Old, on Sept 30. It will be available for purchase on Oct 8 through Fools Gold Records.

The hotly anticipated album took almost a year to finesse, which leads his fans to believe that it will be vigorous.

Brown has been leaking tracks week by week to entice his listeners. He also previously released the cover art and tracklist for the album after getting in an argument with his producer over delaying the release date and threatening to leak it himself.

The songs he has already released off the album, Dip and Kush Coma, have both had positive feedback from his fans. People like the more upbeat tunes he used compared to his previous album, XXX, and hope that the other 17 songs on the album follow suit.

Some other artists featured on Old are A$AP Rocky, Schoolboy Q, Purity Ring, Ab-Soul, and Charli XCX.

In a recent interview Brown had with Fuse TV, he stated that the album would be ‘funny.’ “WIth XXX, you laugh throughout. This one, when it’s over, you’re laughing hysterically. It’s not necessarily what’s being said on the album, but the album itself, like “I can’t believe he made this” Brown explained.

The tracks on his previous album were much more laid back than the tracks I’ve heard off of Old so far. It seems that on XXX he focused more on his lyrics rather than his beats, and on Old that seems to have switched.

Although I personally like the hype numbers that I’ve listened to so far from Old. They’re much more enthralling than the chill rap beats he usually produces. It fits his crazy persona a lot better and allows him to actually express himself the way he wants to.

The new album is also predicted to promise a change of direction. In an interview with Complex, Brown explained that we can expect “less bedroom shenanigans and more self-reflection.”