Reviews: Eminem- The Marshall Mathers LP 2

Artist: Eminem

Album: The Marshall Mathers LP 2

Genre: Rap

If you can only buy one song, buy: Rap God

RatingA

Using a formula that includes samples from three different decades, a guest appearance from Nate Ruess of fun., an unexpected yet accurate Yoda impersonation, a heartfelt apology to his mother, and even a “Captain America and the Falcon” reference, Eminem is back with the release of The Marshall Mathers LP 2.

The album recently helped Eminem become the first artist to have at least four songs in the top-20 of the Billboard Hot 100 since The Beatles did it in 1964. Props to his producers, Dr. Dre and Rick Rubin (who aren’t too shabby themselves), but Shady turned it up a notch in his latest masterpiece.

Beginning with “Bad Guy,” a sequel to “Stan,” Eminem raps as Matthew Mitchell, the brother of a crazed fan who killed himself because Em never responded to his letters until it was too late. The dark, depressing song brings back one of the rapper’s moved beloved hits, promising his fans that the Slim Shady of The Marshall Mathers LP has returned to old form.

He then continues with a personal favorite of mine – “Rhyme or Reason.” Shady claims “hip-hop ain’t dying on my watch” while he rages over his father’s absence over a sample of The Zombies’ 1969 hit “Time of the Season.” Impressive, to say the least.

After warming up a bit, Em ventures into “Survival,” where his lyrical genius and unmatched passion triumphs over a cliche and uninspiring chorus. Shady spews four minutes of tension-filled lines over a heavy rock beat, proving to his doubters that he isn’t going anywhere.

“And if I don’t got enough in the tank, maybe I can just siphon enough / To fill up this last can, man will I survive in this climate or what…I’m not a rapper, I’m an adapter, I can adjust”

The 41-year-old genius doesn’t stop there though. Songs like “Legacy” and “Rap God” cement him as the best rapper of our generation.

The former discusses Marshall’s struggles with bullying and his family situation as a kid, explaining why he’s been so controversial and contentious over the course of his career, also mentioning how he turned to rap for confidence through the difficulties.

“That’s why I’m scoffin’ at authority, defiant often / Flyin’ off at the handle at mom, no dad / So I’m non-compliant at home / At school I’m just shy and awkward”

The latter displays his superior lyrical abilities, flow, and delivery all in one neatly wrapped package. You know you’re listening to a Rap God when the complexity of the lyrical content is enough to make your head spin. Shady spits his convoluted verses so fast you have to look them up on Rap Genius just to understand what he’s saying.

As if he hadn’t done enough already, Em pairs up with Ruess in the song “Headlights.” The skill displayed in his previous songs was not surprising – that’s his standard. However, Mathers shocks everyone with his apology to his mother for all the times he’s bashed her in his music. He comes to the realization that Em’s father is their common enemy, which should have brought them closer all along. “So if I’m not dreaming, I hope you get his message / That I’ll always love you from afar, cause you’re my momma”

Brace yourselves people. The real Slim Shady just stood up – again. And his versatility remains untouched.