Reviews: The Fault in Our Stars – By John Green

Reviews: The Fault in Our Stars - By John Green

Lately I’d been hearing a lot about this book, seen it on the shelf at the bookstore, and never really thought it was for me. I, like most teens, enjoy spring break with a good read to escape reality and my family. So I grabbed “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green, off the shelf to enjoy some relaxation time. Lets just say this book didn’t quite make it on the plane.

Author John Green, known for his popular YouTube channels (vlogbrothers and crashcourse), mesmerized me within the first sentences in his novel “The Fault in Our Stars”. Green writes through the perspective of a 16 year old girl with stage four thyroid cancer named Hazel Grace Landcaster. Hazel, knowing her cancer is terminal, looks at life as if it is a “side effect of dying”.  I became engulfed into the story when Hazel meets the dreamy character Augustus Waters at a local cancer Support Group. It was as if I had became Hazel Grace, I felt what she felt, thought what she thought, and my mind was constantly screaming JUST KISS HIM ALREADY! (I’m not going to tell you what happens though, no spoilers.)

Over a 24 hour time span I couldn’t get my face out of this book. Constantly wondering what will happen next. Sleep was out of the question. Who has time for sleep when your nose is so deep into a book that even a phone call from a Ryan Gosling couldn’t pull you away?

“The Fault in Our Stars” is witty and fun, it will easily become one of the most quotable books of all time. Some people, like my boyfriend, say that this story seems too girly, but its not. I recommend this book to guys as much as I do girls, it is a wonderful coming of age story for both Hazel and Augustus. Another reason boys should read TFIOS is because, lets be honest here, Augustus is a girl’s dream boy, so take notes.

Greens writing style is very unique. If you have watched one of his many YouTube videos you know he is already an eccentric, goofy, and self spoken man. Now take that knowledge, twist it into the thoughts of a teenage girl with cancer and VOILA you have “The Fault in Our Stars”. While reading this book I laughed, and then I cried. Hard. I balled. Tears streamed down my face at 3:20 a.m. my eyes were welled up will tears, my eyes blurred as I tried not to blink. If you plan on taking a break while reading this book, I suggest doing it before you reach chapter 15. There’s no going back at that point.

I highly suggest reading this wonderful cancer book, that’s not really about cancer. It’s a great story about finding yourself and finding love in places you never truly thought possible. A must read before the movie opens on June 6, 2014. It’s one sick love story.