Counselor Claudia Phipps retires after 20 years

Megan Kostner, Reporter

As Claudia Phipps packs up her belongings, she looks back and remembers all the memories of her 20 years she has been employed at the high school.

After Phipps’ many years at the high school, she has decided to retire in order to spend more time with her family.

“My husband and I plan on flying to Northern Virginia to stay for a week and a half with my son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren,” Phipps said.

Counselor Doug Klemm has worked beside Phipps for 18 years and they have built a strong friendship.

“She is my go-to person, if I have a question about something and I just need a sounding board, to perhaps help me make a decision, with in regards to somebody I’m working with,” Klemm said. “She is just wonderful for that.”

Klemm’s opinion of Phipps has grown through the years they’ve worked together.

“I think she is just one of the finest people I know,” Klemm said. “She is very down to earth, funny, smart, genuine, and she cares tremendously about her students. Outside of school she loves horses, and her family. She’s a wonderful mom, grandma, and overall she is just a wonderful friend.”

Through her positivity she has allowed for Klemm to grow as a counselor as well along side her.

“She just has a very positive influence on everybody I know,” Klemm said. “She makes me a better counselor, better person, and I’m better for knowing her.”

Though Phipps left, Keith Williams will be replacing her as a counselor.  Phipps is still allowed to keep all of her logins and passwords for her email and will be staying in touch with the seniors she advises.

“The other thing I am also going to do is I’m gonna still watch over my seniors,” Phipps said. “I will be able to monitor and make sure everyone’s ready for graduation.”

Phipps cherishes her time spent at Grand Haven and the relationships she has developed over the years.

“I love Grand Haven,” Phipps said. “I think we’re the best high school around and I have seen lots of changes, but always always the students have been the most fun. Just the most interesting people that I’ve ever met and I love, love the students and that’s what my experience at Grand Haven as a counselor has been just wonderful.”