GrandHaven360 is hit or miss

Al Bishop, Reporter

Every two weeks school improvement introduces a new topic that the whole school must cover. These topics can now be implemented with this new program, GrandHaven360. But it doesn’t seem to be an adored concept. Many people have asked ‘Is it really going to help the school?’

“It was stupid. I was unmotivated in just doing it.” Freshman, Lanaya Skiles said. “I don’t see the point, the school doesn’t do anything with actual problems let alone some fake one.”

GrandHaven360 is a survey website that has recently been used in our school. It’s been used to convey a message to students about various topics that aren’t taught in school. Schoolwide topics that aren’t taught in a period where core classes are and rather focus on their material. GrandHaven360 can also be used for sensitive subjects such as suicide, and bullying.

In ISS, they use this website for a reflection on what they’ve done. There is a vast library of topics to choose from.

“I don’t know why we had that survey it was repetitive.” Juniors Wyatt Buckingham and Ian Lynam said. “[GrandHaven360] asked the same stuff but with different scenarios.”

The survey for the school improvement was about reputation to illegal activities, even to what students should prepare for in a job position. Many people didn’t take much time in their survey.

Teachers see the potential in this new program, but don’t see the effort taken by students.

“Some of my students were clicking through fast and some taking their time.” Swets, Government teacher said. “It was very uneven. I hope it’s a resource we can use to address issues in a general way instead of a one on one talk. Students have to take it seriously though.”

The possibility of this program is growing. There is a reason why it’s been implemented just now.

“The state law was changed this year and part of what the state law was changed to is we have to show to the states that when students misbehave or are in trouble for behavior that we are doing things to try and help teach them around and grow them through those mistakes.” principal, Tracy Wilson said.

The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) has changed the law on Restorative Justice in the house bill 5619. Now before a student is just suspended they must be taught why it is wrong. If the code of conduct violation is too severe then the consequence would be straight to out of school suspension.

“I can tell you that the idea behind Grand Haven 360 is an opportunity to support kids social-emotional growth,” Wilson said. “It’s not really for academic. It’s more of a tool for choices that you make behaviourally; maybe outside of school, inside of our school. It gives you opportunities to learn and grow that you might not have.”