Egg drop lab excites physics students

Gabi Nadeau, Reporter

Mrs. Walters’ fifth and sixth hour physics class ran their “egg drop lab” that ended with some splattered messes, and some successful devices that helped students better understand their motion unit.

The focus of this lab was to cover the motions unit while having students get creative and use critical thinking skills.

“Student usually love this activity because they can get creative and build something unique,” Walters said. “It’s a great way to demonstrate how force can be reduced in a collision.”

A highlight of the project was the inclusion activity in which Mr. Wiebenga’s special education students were invited to join her fifth hour class.

“It was a good activity because his students got to watch a lab they don’t take part in and my students get to interact with students they otherwise wouldn’t,” Walters said. 

Along with the lab, students are creating posters including speed, momentum, impulse and all of the essential things they learned throughout the unit, they included a picture as well as the personal connections to their egg drop devices.       

A majority of the students enjoyed this lab.

“It  was extraordinary, I understand how fragile the egg was after dropping it,” junior Owen Kemp said. “My egg survived. My partner and I put three plastic bags on it helped it the device come down slowly.”