Senior Column: The Most Important Thing

Schaefer Thelen, Sports Editor

High school transforms people. I would dare to say that not one of my classmates is the same person they were four years ago. But what causes this inevitable change? Is it that we simply develop and mature? Sure. Is it that we begin to discover what’s important to us and who we are as individuals? Definitely. But, if there’s one resounding lesson that these past four years have taught me it’s that ultimately we are all products of the friends we surround ourselves with, the relationships we build and those we allow to constructively influence us.

Over the past couple weeks, as the end of high school becomes more and more real, I’ve subconsciously created a “what I’ll miss list” in my head. I’ve concluded that sure, I’ll miss football, basketball, track, and Bucs’ Blade. But it’s the great moments and memories of high school that I’ll miss the most, and those moments don’t exist without the people that help generate them.

So to underclassmen – revel in those relationships. Soak it all in. Find joy in every person and every interaction. Don’t waste time with material things, but rather invest all your worries, your stresses, your time, your emotions in people. There will be peaks and valleys, just like anything else in life, but in the end, your return on that investment will justify the struggle.

It’s also important to be careful about who you surround yourself with, but not too careful. The perspective you gain from talking with people that are nothing like you is astounding. In my experience, every interaction is a catalyst for change within yourself, in some way or another. I have come away from countless conversations the past couple years and thought “Wow, I’ve never looked at it like that before.” The road to greater insight is paved by those all around you. There’s so many amazing things you learn when you open yourself up, initiate new relationships and accept the value of others in your life.

And to seniors – take the time to thank all those teachers and mentors who have profoundly impacted you on your journey. Their job isn’t easy. Let them know they’re appreciated, and give them that motivation and encouragement to be that catalyst in the next student’s life.

For me, developing connections with my teachers that go beyond numbers and letters has been one of the highlights of my high school career. Although at times they seem like your worst enemy amidst the heaps of homework, quizzes and tests, some of the best friends I’ve made in high school and some of the people I’ll miss the most are the ones standing at the front of the classroom each day. Even if they don’t teach you a lick of academic material, the stories they tell and the experiences they’ve had go a long way towards demonstrating principles that are applicable to your own life. You just have to listen.

Coach Hewitt has taught me generosity, patience and the basic sentiment that every action and every choice you make in life contributes towards your character.

Coach Allen and Coach Nelson have shown me that a strong synthesis of sports, faith and compassion towards others can actually exist in one’s life.

Coach Smith has taught me hard work, accountability and leadership, especially in the face of adversity.

Big Stan, a former engineer, former pastor and current teacher, has taught me that if you feel called to something new or desire a different direction for your life, then go out and get it.

C.E. has taught me to be a good writer, to be curious yet skeptical, and to never be content until you get the answer to “why?

And the list goes on and on…

But my objective in writing this isn’t to suck up (hey, I’m graduating people). It’s an opportunity to explain to others that there are hundreds of people out there, whether it be your teachers, your classmates, your coaches, or some random guy on the street, just waiting to have that same positive impact on you and shape the person you are becoming. Find them. When it’s all said and done, they will be your greatest source of happiness.