The Grammy Awards: the nominees, the snubs and the potential winners

The Grammy Awards

The Grammy Awards

Caitlyn Cooling, Reporter

The 60th annual Grammy awards are one of the most anticipated ceremonies of the year. Pulling in upwards of 26 million viewers every year. So who’s going to take home a win this year? Tune in January 28 to find out.

Here’s a list of the most watched categories along with their nominees:

(see the full list of categories and nominees here)

Record of the year

• “Redbone” — Childish Gambino
  • “Despacito” — Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber
  • “The Story of O.J.” — Jay-Z
  • “HUMBLE.” — Kendrick Lamar
  • “24K Magic” — Bruno Mars

Record of the year was a hotly debated category this year. And honestly, I’m not sure who will or should take home a win. All of the songs are catchy and unique to their competitors. As much as I love Kendrick Lamar, I’m lowkey hoping Bruno Mars takes the trophy. Not only are his songs extremely catchy, but they’re unique in their sound. Mars’ music has an upbeat hip-hop/funk sound to them makes you want to dance wherever you are.

This is not the same as the Song of the Year category. According to the Grammy website, “The Record Of The Year category recognizes the artist’s performance as well as the overall contributions of the producer(s), recording engineer(s) and/or mixer(s) if other than the artist. The Song Of The Year category recognizes the songwriter(s)”.

Album of the Year

• “Awaken, My Love!” — Childish Gambino
  • “4:44” — Jay-Z
  • “DAMN.” — Kendrick Lamar
  • “Melodrama” — Lorde
  • “24K Magic” — Bruno Mars

Album of the Year undoubtedly deserves to go to Kendrick Lamar’s “Damn”. While I’m not exactly known for being a fan of rap, I can safely say that Lamar’s record was hot. All of the songs were catchy and had unique meanings behind them. Especially his song, “DNA” which hints at childhood hardships and other characteristics.

Song of the Year

• “Despacito”
  • “4:44”
  • “Issues”
  • “1-800-273-8255”
  • “That’s What I Like”

The nominees for Song of the Year weren’t exactly surprising. But it especially wasn’t shocking to see the first nominee was “Despacito”. The song has been played on repeat since it came out in the beginning of 2017.

Regardless of the Spanish song’s catchy beat, it’s pretty obvious that “1-800-273-8255” should take home the win. This song, while I personally don’t like the sound of it as much, conveys a critical message about suicide awareness and mental illness. It’s a prime example of artists using their public platform to promote social issues, and for that, I think it deserves the award.

Best New Artist

• Alessia Cara
  • Khalid
  • Lil Uzi Vert
  • Julia Michaels
  • SZA

The Best New Artist category has certainly been a hot topic for debate this year. It all comes down to 5 artists, but from the whispers I’ve heard in the hallway, it sounds like it’s really only a competition between two: Khalid and SZA.

SZA takes the glory of being the most nominated woman in this year’s Grammys. She’s earned a whopping five nominations. Which is quite impressive for the singer. Her album, “Ctrl” climbed to number 2 on Billboard’s top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart earlier this year. And according to Billboard, this accomplishment “marks her second top 10 on the list, after Z bowed at No. 9 in 2014 and becomes her first top 10 set on the Billboard 200, where it debuts at No. 3”.

Overall, SZA is slaying the game, but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s guaranteed the victory.

Khalid also earned himself five nominations this year. His debut album “American Teen” skyrocketed to number 9 on the Billboard 200. Hits such as “Location” also received recognition after it reached 38th on Billboard’s hot 100 earlier this year.

So who’s going to take home the victory? Well, that’s up to the viewers to decide.

Best Pop Solo Performance

• “Love So Soft” — Kelly Clarkson
  • “Praying” — Kesha
  • “Million Reasons” — Lady Gaga
  • “What About Us” — Pink
  • “Shape of You” — Ed Sheeran

After reading the Best Pop Solo Performance category nominees, and regardless of how much I love Ed Sheeran, Kesha deserves this award without a doubt.

Her song, “Praying”, not only conveys an important message about forgiveness and moving on, but it also was inspired by her separation from the sexually abusive music producer, Dr. Luke. As catchy as “Shape of you” is, Kesha’s overwhelming strength, powerful vocals, and emotional lyrics deserve to win the Grammy, hands down.

The snubs:

Overall, many of the nominations were to be expected. But there were certainly artists who were neglected to be recognized here. Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Ed Sheeran and more were seriously underrated according to this list of nominations.

Harry Styles’ self titled album launched him to the top of the Billboard 200 just a week after the record was released. Making him “the second U.K. male artist to bow at No. 1 with a debut album in the 61-year history of the Billboard 200”, according to Billboard’s website. Which is a pretty remarkable accomplishment for the 23 year old. It’s pretty unclear as to why Styles’ wasn’t nominated for anything, but in my eyes, he’ll always be a winner.

Another artist forgotten by this year’s Grammys was Niall Horan. Like his ex-bandmate Harry, Niall came out with his solo record earlier this year. His album, titled “Flicker” also climbed to number one on the Billboard 200 in October. Single tracks such as “Slow Hands” and “This Town” also reached the top of Billboard’s top 100 earlier this year. Proving that Horan certainly has what it takes to be a successful solo artist like the rest of his ex-bandmates.

But clearly this wasn’t enough to snag a Grammy. Why you ask? I wish I knew.

Perhaps the most talked-about snub of this year’s awards was everyone’s favorite fiery-haired genius, Ed Sheeran. After claiming multiple awards for his previous album “Thinking out Loud”, his newly released record was expected to do the same.

But instead of raking in the gold, Sheeran received a cold-shoulder. While he did pull in a nomination for Best Pop Solo Performance, it still didn’t seem to be up to par with what such a phenomenal album deserves.

This year’s was certainly a year for R&B music according to the lists of nominations. Unfortunately this resulted in many incredible artists being left out in the cold.

Tune in to see the victors of this year’s Grammy’s.