Top 5 Super Bowl LII commercials

Courtesy Photo/Heavy.com

Courtesy Photo/Heavy.com

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

1. Groupon: “Who Wouldn’t”

Good Super Bowl commercials have always thrived on shots below the waist or to the gut. Groupon’s is no different as a PAT kick to the gut produces an immediate laugh. 3.5 out of 5 stars

1. NFL: “Touchdown Celebrations to Come”

New York Giants stars Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr.’s take on “Dirty Dancing” gives way to two guys just having fun. Not only is it entertaining to watch, it’s funny too. 4 out of 5 stars

1. E-Trade: “This Is Getting Old”

Set to Harry Belfonte’s “Day-O,” this commercial twists up the song in a comical sense with one of the lyrics being “I’m 85 and I wanna go home.” As senior citizens are shown doing everyday jobs such as being a lifeguard, DJ and fireman, E-Trade reminds viewers that maybe old people should stay retired. 4.5 out of 5 stars

1. Amazon: “Alexa Loses Her Voice”

Where do I begin? Between Gordon Ramsay reprimanding a guy for not knowing how to make a grilled cheese, Cardi B singing “Bodak Yellow” instead of country music or Rebel “Fat Amy” Wilson “setting the mood,” this ad is a success on every level. Let’s not forget about Anthony Hopkins making things awkward either. Good job, Amazon. 5 out of 5 stars

1. M&M: “Human”

From the first scene that was aired, I knew this ad was going to be a hit. Things only got better when the red M&M turned into Danny DeVito. I could not stop laughing as he went around asking people “will you eat me?” Then the unexpectedness of getting hit by a bus comes to top it off. It was personally my favorite of the group and had me chuckling for the rest of the night. 5 out of 5 stars

About the Writer
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.