Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Guide: What to watch for Sochi 2014

Grab that red felt tip marker and cross another day off your calendar. You’re a day closer to one of the biggest events this winter. That’s right, the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia are almost here. There are countless events to watch during these exciting two weeks of February. For fans who don’t know what to watch, here is a description of  the must see events of Sochi 2014.

Alpine Skiing Super-G (Super Giant Slalom)

Competitors in the Super-G need to be fast, agile, and stable. This event is fast, like downhill skiing and has turns like slalom skiing. Skiers need to be prepared to make over 30 changes in direction while reaching top speeds near 60 miles per hour. The worst part – no test runs of the course beforehand.

-Catch women’s Super-G on Feb. 15 and men’s on Feb 16.

Luge Team Relay

The Luge Team Relay is one of a few new events that have been added to the winter olympics. It’s an exciting, high speed relay with teams composed of two single sleds (men’s and women’s) and a doubles sled. Each team starts the race from the same starting point. After crossing the finish line, the athlete must sit up and touch a pad hanging over the track opening the gate for their teammate. The team to have all three athletes touch the pad first wins.

-Luge Team Relay is arguably the best newcomer event. Fans can watch it on Feb 13.

Snowboarding Halfpipe

The name really says it all. Snowboarding Halfpipe is generally a must see, especially because viewers get to watch Shaun White represent the red, white and blue. Competitors must utilize their speed gained on the snowy slope to pop up over the rim of the pipes. From there they perform athletic, acrobatic aerial stunts. The objective of the halfpipe is to perform difficult tricks with near perfect form.

-Catch men’s Snowboarding Halfpipe on Feb 11 and women’s on Feb12.

Four-Man Bobsleigh

This event looks like a ride you’d find at a theme park. Four guys squeeze into a aerodynamic sled and take off down a slippery track. Four-Man Bobsleigh is compiled of four runs held over two days. Two runs are completed each day. Medals are awarded based on total time, with the winner having the lowest time. If this event excites fans, check out the men’s Skeleton competition as well.

-Watch men’s Four Man Bobsleigh runs Feb 22 and 23

Speed Skating

A good description of Speed Skating would be a full out sprint on ice skates. Men and women compete in 500m, 1,000m, 1,500m, 5,000m and a team pursuit. There is also a 10,000m for men and a 3,000m for women. In each event, skaters are racing against the opponent and  the clock on a standard 400m ring. Every event is skated once, except the 500m, which is skated twice. A bonus for watching Speed Skating? Competitors wear full body spandex.

-12 Speed Skating events will be held from Feb 8 through 22.

Full detailed schedule of the games can be found on the Sochi 2014 website.