Player to watch: Hannah Kenny

Drew Hewitt

Junior Hannah Kenny strides through the course at the 18th annual Don Anderson Invite. Kenny finished the race in third place with a time of 21:24.61.

Schaefer Thelen, Sports Editor

Junior runner Hannah Kenny is the player to watch for Grand Haven athletics this week.

In the girls cross country team’s second meet of the season, the 18th annual Don Anderson Invite on Wednesday, Sept. 3, Kenny took third place – the best finish of her career. Kenny then recorded her best time of the season when she ran 19:54.50 on Saturday, Sept. 27 at the Allendale Falcon Invite.

Kenny attributes much of her success to remaining calm and staying loose during races.

“I find that if I distract myself then I run better,” Kenny said. “So a lot of times just laughing or being in a good mood makes me run faster.”

Being her third season as a varsity runner, Kenny has felt a need to step into a new leadership role this year.

“When I was a freshman and sophomore I had Claire (Borchers), and Roxy (Glasser), and McKenna (Mahacek), and my sister (Lanie Kenny) and all the other girls to look after me and now I have to look after all the younger girls and make sure that they’re OK,” Kenny said.

Often times she is able to pass on her composed nature to her younger teammates as well.

“A lot of people have bad nerves before races and get really worked up and so having someone there that keeps everyone else calm is something I’m pretty good at,” Kenny said.

Sophomore Eliza Lowe agrees.

“She’s just a really strong person, mentally and physically,” Lowe said. “She brings other people along with her and encourages everyone.”

Kenny, who has finished 9th and 12th respectively in the first two O-K Red Conference Jamborees, has a chance to earn all-conference honors when she runs at the third and final conference meet this Thursday, Oct. 16 at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids. Fans can also watch Kenny at the regional meet on Saturday, Oct. 25 in Portage.