Excellent defense leads the Bucs in stifling of Caledonia

Senior Autumn Buikema looks to pass to junior Esther Byington while being heavily guarded by Forest Hills Central defenders. Buikema had a solid night with six points against the Fighting Scots.

Ryan Tongue

Ryan Tongue

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

What Happened: The Grand Haven varsity girls basketball team hosted Caledonia Friday night and came out victorious in a 35-24 win. Stellar defense propelled the Buccaneers to this win as points were at a premium for the Fighting Scots. Junior Alli Keyser led the team with 18 points followed by senior Sophie Mariani’s all-around effort of nine points, three blocks, four rebounds and three steals. After giving up 55 points in loss to Rockford last week Friday, this was another statement win for Grand Haven to prove their defense. They allowed only 28 points to Grandville on Tuesday as well.

They Said It: “It was one of our key goals to stop their best post player from getting offensive boards and we did that,” junior Dahlia Jerosvek said. “This was one of our best games. We played hard from start to finish and we never let up on the pressure.”

What’s Next: The Lady Bucs return to action this Tuesday at home, facing off a against a solid Muskegon squad at 7:00 p.m.

About the Writer
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.