Lady Bucs basketball season recap

Junior Anna Strom fires up one of many three point shots she took during the successful season

Ryan Tongue

Ryan Tongue

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

When junior Anna Strom pulled up for a three-pointer in the district final against the Muskegon, no matter the shot went in or missed the basket, the home crowd at GHHS Fieldhouse knew it was too little, too late.

Fortunately for Strom, it went in, cutting the final score to a 37-34 Muskegon win, ending the Lady Bucs’ season.

Grand Haven finished the year with a 14-8 overall record and a second place finish in the O-K Red Conference.

The Buccaneers were dealt a bad hand to start the season, with star junior forward Kelly Olthof tearing her ACL over the summer and junior Esther Byington not fully recovering from the shoulder injury she suffered last season.

Yet, coach Katie Kowalczyk-Fulmer and her team didn’t give up.

“I’m proud of my [players],” Kowalczyk-Fulmer said. “It was a tough season for us. I was really proud of how competitive we were despite the injuries to Kelly and Esther. Our season was a success; I think we were playing our basketball towards the end.”

Regardless of how the Lady Bucs finished this season, the Buccaneers have high expectations for next year.

“We return nine players coming back,” Kowalczyk-Fulmer said. “Our plan is to shoot to win the O-K Red Conference, win districts, win regionals and if we do win some championships next year, those four seniors (who played this year) will have been a big part of that success.”

To attain these goals, Kowalczyk-Fulmer stressed the importance of becoming tougher by being more physical and stronger with the ball.

“[We have to] keep finding ways to get better,” she said. “I’m really lucky [that] these kids are so dedicated and put a lot of time into the game.”

In fact, the Buccaneers’ head coach has already shifted focus to next winter. Her AAU team started last Sunday. But it doesn’t mean she hasn’t totally forgotten about this year’s performance.

“I think we’re all a little disappointed it didn’t end the way we wanted,” Kowalczyk-Fulmer said. “But at the end of the day the sun always rises and I think that when you put into perspective, it was a good season with good kids.”

About the Writer
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.