The Bucs' Blade

Season in review: Bucs hockey 2017-’18

Back to Article
Back to Article

Season in review: Bucs hockey 2017-’18

The Bucs celebrate after a conference championship-winning goal from junior Kyle Eveland

Maddie Fogg

Maddie Fogg

Maddie Fogg

Looking back at the record books, this past season for the Bucs hockey team stands alone. Simply, one of the best in years. One could say ever.

In head coach Keegan Ferris’ third year at the helm, the Bucs proved to be a force, winning their first conference championship in years, in dramatic fashion, with junior Kyle Eveland netting the biggest goal of his high school career to seal the victory over Jenison.

“Being a conference champion is an absolutely amazing feeling,” Ferris said. “As a coach, that is probably the happiest moment of my coaching career, being able to see all the hard work that these guys put in during the summer and over time to be rewarded like that with a conference championship, the first one in seven years is pretty remarkable.”

Yet the team’s run to the title wasn’t always so successful and easy. Ferris noted the moments where without the tension and tough losses, the Bucs would’ve never made the climb to being one of the greats.

“After losing multiple games during the middle stretch of the season, that was the moment they no longer needed me to motivate and they took hold of the reins themselves,” Ferris said. “That ‘changing of the guard’ was huge for the state of our program.”

Being the team to make that jump from just players to leaders and brothers on the ice meant the most to Ferris in a big way, even with all the accomplishments the Bucs made this year.

He was able to eclipse his own peak as a coach for the boys.

“That’s what I am going to miss from this group, the consistent togetherness, they all were so close,” Ferris said. “We all had that competitive nature, showing a want to be at the rink every single day. I have no doubt it will be the same next year, I just love this team and everything they gave throughout the season – that is simply all you can ask for.”

Using all of these major gains just from one season to be a stepping stone for future success, Ferris knows that the potential for Bucs is as high as it has ever been. The ‘Coin Crew’ is on track to make even more noise.

“They now know what it takes for a conference championship, so let’s go even harder to get to that next step in the future,” Ferris said. “The craving is there and that’s a fantastic spot to be in for this program.”

About the Writer
Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

Senior Chris Hudson is in his last rodeo at Grand Haven High School and unfortunately, his last go with the Bucs’ Blade, this time as Editor-In-Chief....