Seniors seal a victory at 2018 homecoming powderpuff

The senior line celebrating their second win

Kyle Bush

Kyle Bush

Sam Woiteshek, Co Sports Editor

WHAT HAPPENED: The senior class of 2019 won Powderpuff last night, behind a speedy offensive attack and tough defense. They beat the sophomores 8-0 in overtime before taking down the juniors 8-0 in the championship match.

WHAT IT MEANS: The seniors claimed their first championship and will leave Grand Haven High School victorious. The win also continues the streak of senior dominance, as the class of 2018 won last year.

KEY MOMENTS: After a slow start for both sides, the offense finally broke through and senior Alli Keyser ran for a touchdown from 23 yards out. She then converted the two-point conversion to take an 8-0 lead. Then, on the final play of the game, Keyser stopped junior Ellary Bylsma at the goaline, sealing the victory.

THREE STARS

• First Star: Alli Keyser. As the focal point of the team, the senior got it done both sides of the ball, routinely making plays throughout the night. She scored the game-winning touchdown and made the game-clinching save on Bylsma to win the game.
  • Second Star: Ellary Bylsma. The junior was the lone standout of her team’s offense, scoring on a touchdown run to beat the freshmen, 8-0. Her speed proved crucial later on, as she propelled the Bucs down the field in the championship match. Unfortunately, she was stopped a yard short of what would’ve been a thrilling 15-yard score to tie the game.
  • Third Star: Carley Wagasky. A sophomore, Wagasky was the most dynamic player of the night. While the sophomores didn’t beat the juniors, Wagasky controlled the consolation game, beating the freshmen 16-0. She ran for a score of 45 yards and then another long run that the length of couldn’t be determined.

THEY SAID IT

• “I was really nervous, ” Keyser said of her game winning tackle. “Coming up to this year I’ve always missed tackles, I’ve always missed flags. Getting the tackle is way harder than what it seems.”
  • “It felt awesome,” Keyser said of winning the championship game. “We didn’t have a lot of people at practice so we were all over the place and to see everyone out here, motivated was pretty awesome.”

WHAT TO WATCH FOR NEXT YEAR: The pressure will be on next year’s seniors (this year’s juniors), who came inches away from a potential title. After getting their first win this year, they will be eager to claim the crown. However, next year’s juniors (this year’s sophomores) may have something to say about that. If Wagasky continues her reign, watch out.

Juniors poised to snatch a senior's flag

About the Contributors
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.

Kyle Bush, Reporter

Kyle Bush is a first-year senior doing sports reporting. Kyle is a big sports fan his favorite college team is the Michigan Wolverines and in his free time his favorite things to do are playing lacrosse, and skiing. Kyle is eager to learn how to become a better writer and really wants to expand his knowledge on new topics and informing the public on important topics.

Carlos Rappleye, Photo editor

Senior Carlos Rappleye is in the midst of his second year on The Bucs’ Blade staff. As the photo editor, he hopes to continue the quality of photography that the Blade has had in past years. He considers his Emmy award-winning sister, Hannah, his role model and plans to pursue journalism in the future. He prides himself on the fact that he listens to music that you “probably haven’t heard of, man,” and the fact that he says he skates but can’t do a kickflip.  

Caleb Berko, News editor

This is junior Caleb Berko’s second year on staff, and he could not be more ecstatic. Last year he worked directly with local businesses who advertised with the Blade as the Business Manager. This year he will be leading the news team to accurately tell the story that immediately affects your life at school and at home. He is a member of the Student Senate, the Boys Cross Country team, National Honor Society, and is actively working on achieving his Eagle Scout recognition. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his family at home and on trips, hanging out with friends in and outside of school, and camping and being outdoors.