Fullerton exceeds all expectations

George+Fullerton+after+his+last+performance.+

Courtesy of Benjamin Rodgers

George Fullerton after his last performance.

Ysabela Golden, Reporter

Laying back on one of the curved couches in the back of the library, I checked and rechecked the email that confirmed the interview time between glances at the door, waiting for someone who looked like they could be a freshman honors choir student to walk through, and starting to regret not having looked up a picture of George Fullerton before arriving.
When I finally looked away, I was surprised to find that not only was the student on the couch directly across from me doing the same back-and-forth that I was, but that he had actually gotten there before I even arrived. After I started asking questions, I was surprised again to discover that I hadn’t known the extent of Fullerton’s accomplishment: it wasn’t that he had managed to make the state honors choir in his freshman year, but that he was the only Grand Haven student to make it to the state honors choir at all.
“I know there are other schools with more kids in Honors Choir, and they learn songs in a class together, but I’m the only one in my class here,” Fullerton said. “I really enjoy the songs I’ve been learning for honors choir, and it’s been fun learning them by myself.”
According to his choir teacher, Benjamin Rodgers, Fullerton’s class of one was recently a class of no one at all.
“We did not have any students make it to the state level last year,” Rodgers said. “We have had students in previous years, but last year no one advanced past the regional honors choir.”
Fullerton himself wasn’t expecting his advancement when it happened, though he knew that his chance was better for being a male choir student.
“With my audition, when we recorded, I wasn’t expecting to make it, my voice didn’t feel like it was in a good spot. But I know they need guys more than they need girls.”
And unlike various Grand Haven choirs, the state honors choir actually gets the male singers that they need. Fullerton might be the only student in his sixth hour, but when he goes to meet honors choir members from all over the state, his choir gets a lot more crowded.
“I like being in a choir with a lot of guys,” Fullerton said. “It’s more 80 guys to 80 girls than a school choir, which is more 80 girls to 20 guys. It’s nice to be able blend with other guys when we’re singing.”
Fullerton is looking forward to performing with his peers January 21 at the Devos Hall in Grand Rapids, and continuing to perform with them in the years to come.
“I enjoy performing in a choir – I feel a lot more confident when I’m singing on stage,” Fullerton said. “I started choir in 5th grade because it was required, but I really started enjoying it in the 7th grade, when it wasn’t just a required class anymore.”
“Since 7th grade, my teachers – especially Mr. Payton, my 7th grade teacher, and Mr. Rodgers, my teacher now – have encouraged me to stay in choir,” Fullerton said. “And that’s what I’m planning to do.”’

Courtesy of Benjamin Rodgers