Junior Jack Kurburski lays low during COVID-19 outbreak

Jack Kurburski

Kurburski plays his Xbox One during the outbreak. This is one of Kurburski’s main activities during the outbreak, along with homework and eating.

Nick Twa, Business Manager

There are many things that have been impacted due to the outbreak of the coronavirus. Among them are routines, activities and events. For junior Jack Kurburski, that is no different.

Like other students, Kurburski didn’t know how to react to the news that school would be closed until April 12, nor did he know how it would affect him.

“I was excited at first,” Kurburski said. “I thought it was something that wouldn’t affect us that much. I could see us being out for a while but I didn’t realize how bored I would be.”

Since the outbreak, school has been transitioned to an online format. Kurburski says the work he receives each day is not new, but rather just review.

“The work I’m doing isn’t as much teaching myself as it is review,” Kurburski said. “We’re not really learning a bunch of new stuff in my classes.”

The schoolwork that Kurburski has been doing is something that is part of his daily routine, but not in the place he’d like to be completing it in.

“I’d much rather be doing the work at school than at home,” Kurburski said.

Homework is just about one third of his routine. The other two things, eating and video games,  just help to keep him busy.

Kurburski isn’t as worried as others may be about COVID-19 affecting him. He knows the risks, but isn’t letting the chaos get to him.

“Like I know it would affect my grandparents more,” Kurburski said. “But I also know that if I did get it, there’s a very slim chance of dying from it if you’re healthy.”

As Kurburski continues through this break, he believes his routine and daily activities won’t change.

“I plan on just staying in the house and continuing to do homework,” Kurburski said.