Grand River Green Up to clean area for Earth Day

The fourth annual Grand River Green Up will take place on Saturday, April 19 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Green Up is a shoreline trash and recyclables pick up along the Grand River, and is one of the biggest Earth Day service events on the Lakeshore.

“The event is open to anyone who can safely and responsibly navigate along the shoreline terrain,” said Becky Brown, a water programs outreach coordinator. “Students who are interested in participating are more than welcome. They can go to www.grandrivergreenup.com to sign up. It also gives them the ability to email the permission slip to their parent or guardian.”

Volunteers will be collecting trash from the shore of the Grand River, and extending all throughout West Michigan. Anyone interested in helping should arrive at Harbor Island on the day of the event.

“I think the event is really to expose people to some of the issues that our watershed is facing, and to inspire them to take further action outside of the clean up,” Brown said. “The clean up is a great way to engage in some service, to mobilize as a team and a as community around a natural resource that’s really really important to us.”