Nick Vance scores a spot in the West Michigan Showcase

Nick Vance lands the win with “All of Me,” leaving us all breathless with his deep voice.

Karianne Turner, Arts Editor

On Jan. 31, many students, and a few staff members, hit the talent show stage to win a spot in the West Michigan Showcase. This is where students from all over West Michigan compete in their area of expertise, such as academics, athletics, literary arts or the performing arts.

21 kids gave everything they had in singing, dancing, or performing, in hopes to win. Junior Sam Kukla sang Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis Presley leaving all girls in the room in love. Freshman Zoey Zysk nailed I Need a Hero by Bonnie Tyler, exiting with all the sass possible. A-Beatz: Jayson Quimby had the whole room bouncing with his DJ skills. Senior Rya Greene and sophomore Kaitlyn Sowles danced their hearts out in a graceful routine to Don’t Fear the Reaper by Denmark and Winter.

Deputy Ryan DeVries, assistant principal Mike Roberson and choir teacher Benjamin Rodgers transformed the stage as they performed Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison, impressing us with DeVries’ voice.

But, even though all these students (some teachers) and many more showed promise, junior Nick Vance stole the trophy with All of Me by John Legend.

“It’s really just an opportunity to have fun,” Vance said. “It’s never about winning or anything, it’s just about going out there, having a good time, and doing what I love.”