New Buc Stop Mario Kart tournament revs up for inaugural contest

The logo for the Mario Kart Tournament hosted by the Grand Haven High School Buc Stop

Courtesy Photo/Buc Stop Advertising Department

Chris Hudson, Co Editor-in-Chief

Beginning on Monday, Oct. 29, the Buc Stop will be hosting a Mario Kart Tournament, which is a first for Grand Haven High School. Led by business department teacher Mr. Schriber, the tournament was first brainstormed from members of the Bucs Stop staff, in hopes of further promoting the school store.

“Our promotional events team for the Bucs Stop thought of the idea,” Schriber said. “They wanted to come up with a fun, new way to attract more students into the store and they thought they would start with Mario Kart.”

The tournament will run and be formatted off of student involvement, as the field will only get bigger and the rules will only adapt with more participants entering. With the current field, Schriber plans to have a double-elimination tournament format.

“The goal is to have students play a double-elimination tournament after a four game Cup. The top two racers after four races will advance in the winners bracket and the next two will have to fight their way back from the consolation bracket.”

With that being the aim, each lunch would need at least ten participants from Monday, Oct. 29 to Friday, Nov. 3 to make the tournament run smoothly and result in three champions.

The final day of the tournament, planned for Friday Nov. 3, will be when the winner of each bracket is decided and the in-house prizes will be awarded.

“The champions [of each lunch] will receive a gift card that can be spent on any merchandise in the school store,” Schriber said.

When looking at the long term of this contest, specifically if it will be put on again, Schriber believes that question will be answered by the turnout for this inaugural running.

“We may run this again next year,” Schriber said. “We are looking to find other ways to bring competition to the Buc Stop by potentially purchasing an Xbox and having other tournament be played on our new 65-inch T.V.”

About the Writer
Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

Senior Chris Hudson is in his last rodeo at Grand Haven High School and unfortunately, his last go with the Bucs’ Blade, this time as Editor-In-Chief. His approach is to bring the Blade back to Michigan journalism supremacy and that will only come through pushing himself and the rest of the Blade staff to their greatest potential. Having high hopes for this year, he is excited to cover the topics the students want and most importantly need to hear. Hudson is also the president of the Grand Haven DECA chapter and Student Senate, as well as an NHS leadership team member and City council commission student appointee. In his free time, he likes to trap with the boys, tune into the Sunday Scaries podcast and most importantly rise and reel whenever he can.