Spanish classes creatively celebrate ‘Dia de Los Muertos’ with altar; festive dishes

Gesa Lange

Student from the spanish 4 classes set up an altar at the entrance of Pod 8 to replicate a real “Dia de Los Muertos” altar

Gesa Lange, Reporter

Wednesday, Oct. 31 through Friday, Nov. 2, is “Dia de los Muertos”, the day of the dead. It is a holiday acknowledged in all spanish-speaking countries, but celebrated in Mexico. It is one of the countries most important holiday, while it is not religious but originates from indigenous people.

“Dia de los Muertos is about the idea that your loved ones are still with you, as long as you remember them,” spanish teacher Lauren Hamberg said.

Spanish 4 classes set up an altar honoring Bob Marley in Pod 8 to show what altars people set up for their families and friends usually look like. They hung up banners with calaveras on them, or images of human skulls and also put up marigolds, photos, trinkets and even music.

Students also made “pan de los muertos”, bread of the dead. The spanish classes held celebrations, with Hamberg’s spanish 5 class making mexican-inspired food and watched a movie.