Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Lakeshore Middle School Tour to Answer Questions About Bond Proposal

Peter Ver Duin
A display with some information about the new bond proposal greets parents at the open house on Wednesday night. The bond vote is scheduled for Nov. 7.

Lakeshore Middle School held an open house to address questions and concerns about the need for the new bond proposal on Oct. 10. After the initial bond proposal was turned down in May, the district reevaluated and split the initial proposal into two parts to be voted on separately.

The original proposal in May was for $155 million. The new proposals total approximately $146.97 million. With the first half of the proposal making up most of the cost at roughly $118.32 million. More specific information can be found at ghaps.org. 

As the district makes a second attempt to get a bond passed, they have increased the advertisement to the community, part of this being tonight’s open house. 

At the open house, two guided tours were led around the middle school to show voters the many concerns that a potential renovation of the building would encompass. The tour covered the majority of the school including regular classrooms, cafeteria, main gym, music wing, library, locker rooms and many of the school’s hallways. The first was led by Assistant Principal Aaron Dean and the second was led by Principal Amanda Sorrelle.

A crack formed in one of the walls on the top floor of the building. From certain angles, light from the exterior of the building can be seen. (Peter)
The school’s solitary elevator is located at the south end of the building. It serves as the only method of travel from one floor to another for some students. (Peter)

Bond Vote Set for Nov. 7