Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Native American Heritage Month Movie Night

Calling All Colors is hosting a movie night featuring the film Beans. The film and discussion afterwards are a great way to support Native American Heritage Month. (Photo courtesy of Logan VanderVeen)

The Calling All Colors club is holding a showing of Beans (2020). The showing will take place in the LGI on Tuesday, Nov. 28 at 6:30 p.m. 

“It’s no secret that we don’t have a very diverse student population,” Executive Head Officer Alexandra Bakker said, “so I feel like it’s a really great way for people who aren’t Native American to go and experience another culture and be able to connect with other people who have a passion for making the world a more equitable and diverse place.” 

Calling All Colors will provide free pizza, snacks and pop for all who attend. The movie is an hour and a half long and will be followed by a discussion of the film and what Native American Heritage Month is.

“It’s a really good way to educate yourself about Native American culture and experience a movie that’s not culturally appropriating,” Bakker said. “It tells a beautiful story about a Native American person.” 

Although parental permission is advised to see the film tonight, it is not required. Student IDs are needed for entry. 

“By coming to this movie night, you can help celebrate by educating yourself and having a good time,” Bakker said.