Money Soup to Perform at GHHS

Peter Ver Duin
Money Soup setting up in the media center for their show in academy. The band is also recording in hopes of making it onto NPR.

Senior Robert Greene will be performing with his band Money Soup in the media center on Friday, Feb. 9 during academy. The show will feature 6 of the band’s original songs although the set list was not disclosed.

The show will be recorded and submitted to NPR in a contest to win a chance to be featured on “All Things Considered” and headline NPR Music’s Tiny Desk Contest On The Road tour.

The band started back on May 2, 2023 at the band’s first official rehearsal with Greene as the keyboard player. Greene also leaked that the band was working on their first album.

“We have the tracks, we just had to figure out a watch party,” Greene said. “[It will be released] by summer.”

The unique name originates from the nickname for the donation pot that many street performers place in front of them. 

“Lanie does street performing in the summer and there’s this thing called a money soup pot where people put their money,” Greene said. “We had to give that pot back so now we’ve got a new pot.”

Students who show up can expect an energetic show, funk and some dancing.

“We’re gonna have a lot of energy, it’s gonna be funky,” Greene said. “We might be a little loud.”