GOTAK Performs Irish/Celtic Tunes at American Legion

GOTAK+prepares+to+perform+at+the+American+Legion.++Saint+Patricks+day+is+kind+of+our+thing+Melissa+Meyers+said+to+the+crowd+before+starting.+
Reegan Cook
GOTAK prepares to perform at the American Legion. “Saint Patrick’s day is kind of our thing” Melissa Meyers said to the crowd before starting.

GOTAK performed at the American Legion Post #28 to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day on Sunday, Mar. 17 .  Students decked out in their green gear and got to eat traditional Irish stew before performing. 

Melissa Meyer, the Grand Haven orchestra teacher, has run this Celtic/Irish club for her students since 2005. Roughly 40 kids show up Wednesday nights from 5-6.

“I saw a friend of mine across the state, and he had a Celtic group,” said Meyers about the club’s beginnings. “So I decided to get some kids together and read some Celtic music. We just would sit around after school and read out of books.” 

Notable songs on their setlist were Galway Girl, Devils, and St. Patrick’s Day/Irish Washerwoman.  

Sophomore and violinist Adelyn Winton, who has been in the club for 2 years, said, “Gotak is like a little family. We all just have lots of fun with each other in and out of rehearsal. ”

Saint Patrick’s Day marks the end of their gig season, which goes from late February to late March.

“When we do gigs in the community, I see how they can connect with the audience and inspire people to want to play and learn that type of music, and that’s really a cool feeling,” said Meyers. 

“At this point in the year, we’re all kind of just playing the music we all know and love having fun while we do it.” said senior Emily Swieringa, who is a vocalist and violinist.