Hard-fought draw against Grand Rapids West Catholic leaves the Bucs feeling content

Jack Nicholson

Senior Austin Fox commands the offensive charge during a home game earlier in the season. Fox added to the score sheet against the Falcons with a big assist late in the game.

Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

What Happened: In a heated clash, the Buccaneer hockey team came out with a crucial 2-2 draw against Grand Rapids West Catholic. Time and time again, when Grand Haven has taken on the Falcons, it typically plays out to be a barn-burner, with the victor barely edging out the other once the clock hits triple zeros. In this year’s first of two matchups, both squads traded goals in the first, deadlocked at one heading into intermission. The Falcons would add another score to their tally early on in the second, yet, that would be their last of the duel. Just as it seemed the Bucs would fall on the road, sophomore Clayton Cooper netted a rocket of a shot with just over two minutes before the final buzzer. Cooper’s goal and everlasting effort proved to be key for the Bucs not to take a loss to their conference foe.

They Said It: “In all seriousness, we are all just happy with how we fought and to walk out of there with a tie,” junior Trevor Kalis said.

Up Next: Grand Haven takes a hike up to Centre Ice Arena where they will meet with Bay Reps for the second time this season.