2018 Winter Olympics: Results from Feb. 21

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

Women’s Hockey Hysteria: It was a big day for the United States in PyeongChang. One of the key victories was for the women’s hockey team. In a game for the ages, the U.S. took home gold medal with a thrilling 3-2 shootout victory over Canada. Canada’s women’s team had won the previous four gold medals, making this the biggest win of the 2018 Olympics for Team USA and perhaps the biggest win in the program’s history. The key was exceptional goalie play by Maddie Rooney, who made a clutch overtime save to go along with the other 32 she had.

Other Notable American Results: In Alpine skiing combined, the U.S.’s Mikaela Shiffrin skied her way to a silver medal. Shiffrin hasn’t quite had the Olympics she thought she would, but she still remains the U.S’s best female skier. U.S. snowboarder Jamie Anderson took home silver in the big air snowboarding competition, to pair with her gold medal in slopestyle which she won earlier. In the men’s skiing halfpipe, the United States had a 1-2 finish. American David Wise took home gold just as he did in Sochi while fellow patriot Alex Ferreira took home silver.

What to Watch For: Today’s events will consist of ladies free skate, men’s semifinal in curling, women’s freestyle ski cross and women’s biathlon in the 4x6km relay.  

About the Writer
Sam Woiteshek, Reporter
Sophomore reporter Sam Woiteshek is entering his first year as a member of the Bucs’ Blade.  As a sports enthusiast and lifelong fan of ESPN, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Detroit Tigers and the Chicago Blackhawks. Sam can often be found out at Grand Haven...