Michigan’s momentum will continue and they will win the championship

Creative Commons by mvictors.com wikimedia BY CC 2.0

Jack Reus, Assistant Sports Editor

It is upon us. The upsets, cinderella stories, big names, buzzer beaters. It’s all here. This is the 2018 NCAA college basketball tournament. In other words… March Madness. 68 teams all competing for a National championship, but only one can claim victory. That team in my opinion will be the Michigan Wolverines.

Michigan is currently riding a nine game win streak and they have all the momentum in the world as they just won their second Big Ten tournament title in the last two years. For the Michigan critics, it was no cakewalk to victory. The Wolverines beat the number two team in the nation, MSU for the second time this season by double digits to advance to the Tournament finals. An MSU team loaded with talent in all areas of the game, Michigan pulled off the upset against all odds. They were able to knock down shots and play very aggressive defense. In the finals they went up against the number eight team in the nation, the Purdue Boilermakers. The Boilers are a team that excels in every area of the game, they have the height in center Issac Haas, who is a game changing player and they have also been able to excel from beyond the arc. Michigan won the game, 75-66 behind lock down defense.

To add on, Michigan has the depth to go all the way. Their starting five has been playing fantastic basketball. Moritz Wagner and Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman have been paving the way for the Wolverines all season long and aren’t slowing down. All of these athletes are game changers and are playing their best ball all season. Specifically Zavier Simpson. Throughout the whole regular season, Simpson has been developing as a point guard. We’ve seen some good moments out of him and we also saw a lot of poor moments as well. Five of the last six games, Simpson has been scoring in double figures and has taken control of this offense.

Many key contributors have come from off the bench, such as players like athletic, Jordan Poole, sharp shooting, Duncan Robinson and even back up center, Jon Teske. Teske contributed 14 points in the Big Ten championship against Purdue. If Michigan continues to get contributions from players off the bench, this team will be hard to stop.

And lastly, this team has some of the best team chemistry out there. They are one of the least selfish groups ever to pass through the program and they all share one common goal, that is to win. They will do whatever it takes. This teams heart and passion is absolutely second to none, which has without a doubt contributed to their success on the court.

So watch out for the Wolverines. By the type of ball they are playing right now, they are for sure the hottest team in the country. Head Coach, John Beilein has these guys pumped up and will not take his foot off the gas. Go Blue!

About the Writer
Jack Reus, Assistant Sports Editor
Junior Jack Reus is entering his second year on staff and could not be more excited. He will be covering sports once again and is looking forward to working with everyone on Blade. In his free time he enjoys hanging out with friends, watching just about any sport that’s on TV, going to the beach,...