Girls Soccer Weekly

A Buccaneer player dribbles past a Jenison opponent. A dynamic offense is what fueled the Bucs' 3-0 record this week.

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

What Happened: On Monday, the Buccaneers traveled to West Ottawa and won 5-3. After recent weeks of a sputtering offense, Grand Haven finally were able to get it going. Junior Alli Keyser led the Bucs with two goals, followed by senior Lucy Toppen, sophomore Jennifer Dear and junior Dahlia Jerovsek, all of whom had one. Tuesday brought another conference matchup with Caledonia and the Lady Bucs came away victorious, winning 2-0. The duo of Dear and Keyser scored the goals, but the shutout from sophomore Hannah Brackenbury in the net was what sealed the win for Grand Haven. Finally on Thursday, playing their third game in four days, the Buccaneers clobbered East Kentwood 6-1. It was an all-around complete win for the Lady Bucs, with Keyser scoring an astounding four goals and Dear chipping in one. Sophomore Ellary Bylsma got her first goal of the season as well.

They Said It: “Against West Ottawa, I thought we played very aggressive and we were able to push through their momentum,” Keyser said. “Caledonia wasn’t going to be easy. We had to make a lot of combination plays. Against East Kentwood our defense played awesome and we really connected in the front.”

Three Stars: 1. Keyser (averaging 2.33 goals per game this week). 2. Jennifer Dear (accounting assists for nearly all of Keyser’s goals as well as 3 goals herself). 3. First time scorers (Bylsma, Jerovsek and Toppen) for adding that extra spark to the offense.

Up Next: The Bucs have a full slate of home games this upcoming week starting with Monday against Forest Hills Central, Thursday against West Ottawa and Saturday against Mona Shores.

About the Contributors
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

Senior Maddie Monroe is entering her third year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to make the paper the best she can. Monroe loves to ski, play golf, hike, listen to music, and travel. She is hoping to continue her journalism career at Michigan State University next fall.