Bucs Volleyball falls to Caledonia due to inconsistency

Sophomore Mackenzie Gross jumps up for a spike earlier in the year against Hudsonville. Consistent attacking play will be key to being a postseason threat.

Paige Horist

Paige Horist

Ashton Voorhees, Reporter

What Happened: The Bucs trekked to Caledonia to face the Fighting Scots in a crucial conference matchup. After losing all three sets, 25-21, 25-22 and 25-21 the Bucs fell to 25-11-2. Inconsistency in all aspects of the game meant the squad was constantly fighting an uphill battle, which proved to be too much to overcome on the night.

What It Means: The team has a clear goal ahead of them going into a tough schedule: being consistent with their performances.

Key Moment/Play: Despite the rough outcome, the effort and intensity was front and center, as well as the desire to snap the slump that they were in that night.

Three Stars:

• First Star: Junior Ashley Slater led the team with seven kills and added three aces on the night. Slater was the brightest star in a disappointing outing for the Bucs.
  • Second Star: Senior Baby Hang was the rock of Grand Haven’s defense, and contributed 14 digs to the cause.
  • Third Star: Senior Ashlyn Hall had a solid night, setting her team up with 18 assists.

They Said It: “We have potential to be a very dangerous team in the postseason,” head coach Aaron Smaka said. “We have a lot of weapons and are pretty deep. There have been moments that we have looked very dominant and one of the top teams in the state, but we’re also still working on consistency.”

Up Next: The Bucs square off with bitter rivals Rockford on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in an away match that could give the Bucs just the momentum boost they want heading into the end of the season.

About the Contributors
Ashton Voorhees, Reporter

Senior Ashton Voorhees is enjoying his second go-around on Bucs’ Blade staff this year. He loves the game of baseball, his Siberian husky named Kokoa and memes. Ashton is involved in NHS and plays on the varsity baseball team at Grand Haven High School. In his free time, Ashton enjoys playing or watching all kinds of sports from football to basketball and even soccer, which is why he loves being a sports reporter. If you ever needed to find Ashton, you can most likely find him at the local goodwill, the nearest Jimmy John’s, destroying his iPhone by dropping it into water, or wherever the boys are. Ashton plans on attending college and pursuing Architectural Design.

Paige Horist, Reporter

Sophomore Paige Horist is on her first year of the Blade as a photographer. She likes music and Tod Smith. She hopes to go to Indiana, to pursue songwriting and photography.