Bucs volleyball starts strong but can’t finish against talented Rockford squad

Junior Sarah Knoll attempts a spike against Hudsonville. The Bucs will look to improve on offense as they enter the final stretch of the season.

Paige Horist

Paige Horist

Ashton Voorhees, Reporter

What Happened: On Tuesday, the Buccaneers varsity volleyball team faced yet another tough road test in the O-K Red conference: the Rockford Rams. Coming out hot in the first set winning 25-22, the Bucs dropped the next three sets 25-17, 25-21 and 25-18 against a dominant Rockford team.

What It Means: The ability to hang with elite competition and battle with the best was evident, as the Rams are ranked fourth in the state.

Key Moment: The first set was a great one for the Bucs, and was filled with intensity; the desire to win was front and center. Grabbing a set against such a high ranked foe, as well as fighting the rest of the game, proves that the team can compete with anyone.

Three Stars:

• First Star: Junior Ashley Slater. Slater was dominant on the night with 11 kills and seven aces. Her attacking presence and serving has been key for the Bucs as of late.
  • Second Star: Senior Ashlyn Hall. The upperclassman set up her teammates nicely with 33 assists in total against the Rams
  • Third Star: Senior Avolyn Lepo. Lepo contributed to the attack with nine kills, the second highest on the team across the match.

They Said It: “I’m really happy with the growth that we’ve shown from last week,” head coach Aaron Smaka said. “We saw how we have to play every single game, the energy we have to give and the things we have to do to be successful.”

Up Next: This saturday at the Buccaneers participate in their last tournament of the year in the Mona Shores Invite. They will face the likes of Zeeland East and Reeths Puffer in pool play starting at 9 a.m. Grand Haven will look to square off against elite teams like Hudsonville later in the tournament.

About the Contributors
Ashton Voorhees, Reporter

Senior Ashton Voorhees is enjoying his second go-around on Bucs’ Blade staff this year. He loves the game of baseball, his Siberian husky named Kokoa and memes. Ashton is involved in NHS and plays on the varsity baseball team at Grand Haven High School. In his free time, Ashton enjoys playing or watching all kinds of sports from football to basketball and even soccer, which is why he loves being a sports reporter. If you ever needed to find Ashton, you can most likely find him at the local goodwill, the nearest Jimmy John’s, destroying his iPhone by dropping it into water, or wherever the boys are. Ashton plans on attending college and pursuing Architectural Design.

Paige Horist, Reporter

Sophomore Paige Horist is on her first year of the Blade as a photographer. She likes music and Tod Smith. She hopes to go to Indiana, pursue songwriting and photography.