Grand Haven water polo shuts out Grandville in lopsided victory

Junior Nick Wilson goes for ball against his opponent. Wilson has been a catalyst for the Bucs, who have been playing well as of late.

Paige Horist

Paige Horist

Mijan Ahmad Nizam, Reporter

WHAT HAPPENED: The Grand Haven Buccaneers boys water polo team traveled to a struggling Grandville team’s pool on Monday and produced a lopsided victory, with a score of 14-0.

WHAT IT MEANS:  With a win like this, it shows the team is starting to gain confidence and is finding their stride. They are now playing the game they want to play. Although there are still ways to improve, dominant wins like these ones are showing that Grand Haven is moving up into the ranks with some of the top teams in the state.

KEY MOMENT: Because the Bucs were already ahead by a big margin after the first quarter, their coach mixed up lineups and forced players to play with people they did not normally play with. This allowed the team to build chemistry with players throughout the game

THREE STARS:

• First Star:  Junior Nick Wilson. He led the charge with three goals, along with six saves.
  • Second Star: Sophomore Thomas MacDonald. MacDonald showed up on the defensive end, recording five steals in the game.
  • Third Star: Senior Mark Nordin. The upperclassman had a very solid night, leading the team with eight steals while recording an assist to go along.

THEY SAID IT: “I think playing a team like that gave us a real chance to slow everything down because our team mostly relies on speed,” Wilson said. “It gave us a chance to see how we could do without relying on that too much and it proved to our whole team that we have more than one way to play the game and that gives us a real advantage in other games”  

UP NEXT: The Bucs will square off with Zeeland East this Wednesday at 7:00 PM.

About the Contributors
Mijan Ahmad Nizam, Reporter

Senior Mijan Ahmad Nizam is a rookie to the Bucs’ Blade staff. He is very curious and eager to take on the world of journalism. The opportunity to have a voice through writing was what drew Mijan to joining Bucs’ Blade. In school, Mijan is involved in the FIRST Robotics team, Track & Field team, National Honor Society,  and finally making the basketball team for once. Outside of school, he enjoys video and photo editing, playing guitar, traveling the world, and being one of the biggest LeBron James fans. After high school, Mijan plans to attend either the University of Southern California or Texas A&M University to study business, aspiring to be an entrepreneur one day.

Paige Horist, Reporter

Sophomore Paige Horist is on her first year of the Blade as a photographer. She likes music and Tod Smith. She hopes to go to Indiana, pursue songwriting and photography.