Season preview: Wrestling

Savannah Hankinson

Daniel Guillen tossles with his opponent. Guillen has graduated, leaving senior Cody Miller and junior Riley Rhone to lead the team.

Nick Twa, Business Manager

The boys wrestling season kicks off this week and there’s a lot to look forward to in the season. Even though senior leaders from last season such as Daniel Guillen have graduated, there’s still great promise within the squad.

Senior Cody Miller along with junior Riley Rhone led the group with state finals appearances at Ford Field last season, bringing crucial experience to a team full of depth.

For coach Vincent Gervais, that is exactly what makes him excited for this season to begin.

“One thing I’m thrilled with is our numbers are really good,” Gervais said. “We have 45 wrestlers this year, which is 12 more than we had last year.”

Depth means that anybody could rise up and be a star, which creates a greater need for leadership roles among the team.

Along with Miller, former sophomores are making an impact that cannot be understated.

Rhone coming into the season is ranked No. 2 in the state, which he hopes to maintain in the chase for a state title.

“We have a good blend of youth and experience,” Gervais said.

That “blend” brings hope for the younger members of the group to gain learning moments that could help them later on when they’re upperclassmen, especially in a conference as tough as the O-K Red.

“The nice thing about the O-K Red is that it’s a double-edged sword,” Gervais said. “It’s always tough. For me, that’s accountability for the coaches and accountability for the kids. Every time they compete they know they’re going to have to give their best.”

The season begins with a match on Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 5 p.m. at Holland High School, which will be an early season test for the Bucs.