Bucs’ Girls Volleyball Prepares to take on Rockford Rams

Blade File Photo
Coach Aaron Smaka gives pep talk to girls volleyball team. The team will face off against Rockford on Thursday, Sept. 28.

The Rams will visit Grand Haven and face off against the Bucs on Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. Rockford and Grand Haven enter this match 1-1 in conference play and are fighting for a top spot in the OK RED Standings. 

“Rockford is always a great opponent,” Varsity coach Aaron Smaka said. “It’s just a fun matchup of two volleyball teams that are both playing at a relatively high level early in the season.”

The Bucs’ exceptionally skilled roster is led by senior Izzy Whittaker with 184 kills. Whittaker surpassed 1000 lifetime kills back in Sept. this year. 

“The 14 kids on our team which is a big volleyball team, and they’re extremely supportive of each other,” Smaka said. “We’ve got big goals for this season, and Thursday night is another step towards achieving those goals.”

Regardless of the outcome, expect an exciting volleyball match between these two teams because the Bucs are going to battle every step of the way. 

“I think that either way, we’re gonna look at it and get better,” Smaka said. “I don’t anticipate a short match, I’m expecting there’ll be some fun volleyball for anybody that comes out and watches.”