Girls Varsity Swim Team Prepares to Take on Grandville

Kyle Turk
TRAINING INTENSIFIES: Senior Jocelyn Tollive flying at the Jenison meet on Sept. 28. All swimmers and divers did exceptionally well winning 162-153 but now they must work twice as hard to bring down Grandville on Thursday.

Following the highly anticipated Jenison meet, the Girls Varsity Swim and Dive team will compete against Grandville, on Oct. 5 at 6:00 p.m. The meet will be held at Grandville High School, the fourth away game for the Girl’s Varsity team. Admission is $5 at the door.

“We’re going to train hard once we get through Jenison,” said Aquatic Director and head swim coach, Doug Thorne.

Their coach has a motto for the two-hour-long practices to prepare for the Grandville meet. “The pain train is on the tracks and it’s gonna stay on the tracks,” Thorne said.

The Girls Swim and Dive currently has 58 strong student-athletes, all ready to go head-to-head with Grandville. 

“We’re in the middle of our season, and the only concern is getting our training in and still being able to compete. We’re in the heavy part of our workload,” said Thorne.

It looks as if victory favors Grand Haven, a win now would bring the winning streak to seven meets in a row. 

“Grandville is a little bit down from what they normally are, as far as competitive wise. It shouldn’t be too much of an issue for us,” said Thorne.