The Return of Death by Dancing

Death by Dancing. A band name that is both intriguing and intimidating. But you will take one listen, and you could get really hooked on this twist on techno punk music.

After five years, of nothing, they are getting back together. Kevin Kozel, and Tyler Roth have collaborated with Drew Ellingboe, to make their newest work of art, Dark Matter.

During his senior year guitarist Kozel transferred from Spring Lake to Grand Haven High School and helped the band gain momentum towards fame. Kozel graduated in 2008, and Roth in ’04.

“We didn’t even go to high school together.” Kozel said. “Tyler was my age, he was 22 when we started.”

The band had constant weekend shows, and won two consecutive Michigan’s Battle of The Bands. They received cash prizes and free recording. They really could have gotten big, but Kozel was the only one in high school and it became hard for the others to continue, because they needed a reliable income.

“You get to that point,” Roth said. “You were in school, Kevin, and for you it was school and music. For me it was a part time job and on top of that music.”

It really came down to time. For some, it was just time to start working, and for others it was really time to pursue this passion, just not as a band. So on good terms, Death By Dancing died.

Then suddenly one of Kozel’s guitar students became a writing partner and soon found out about Death By Dancing and orientated their getting back together.

“I started out just messing around and writing with Kevin,” Drew Elingbow said. “But then I saw a Death By Dancing file and we just started writing for that.”

So Kozel contacted Roth and it was decided, the Grand Haven band was back together, and death again was dancing.

“We’re like the Cars [the Cars were a rock band in the 1970’s that changed members lots of times.] ,” said Kozel. “You just have to have one or two of the original members to keep it going. Then you can keep the name.”

They are hoping to have their first real album done by spring. The first recording they did was an EP, and the second was only three songs. They are shooting for a March release of the album Dark Matter. The goal is to have everything including merchandise, album, and shows booked by then.

“From there we can just pick up where we left off,” Roth said. “I don’t think it will be that hard.”