Sarah Topliff and Megan McCarthy receive a Division I rating

Ysabela Golden, Reporter

Grand Haven has high standards for its band kids, built up by years of competitive successes and their (borderline cultish?) devotion to their art, their instruments, and their bandmates. Not to disappoint us, the students who participated in their recent Solo and Ensemble Festival returned having upheld their sterling reputation.

“All of our qualifying events earned a Division ‘I’ or ‘II’ at this year’s festival,” said band director Iain Novoselich. “The adjudicators,” the judges who critique competing band students – “offered helpful feedback, and students heading to the state festival in March will be working hard to further improve their playing.”

When I asked him who I should speak to about his band’s recent success, he pointed me towards junior flute player Megan McCarthy and freshman clarinet player Sarah Topliff, both of whom received a “Division I” rating at the event.

Topliff, new to the high school level of competition, wasn’t expecting her results.

“I did Solo Ensemble in middle school, but high school is different,” Topliff said. “There are more expectations, the judges give harsher criticisms. I didn’t think I’d get a one, but – well, obviously – I’m glad I did.”

McCarthy was more confident about her prospects as she headed to the site.

“Then, once I got to the practice room, I went ‘oh my goodness gracious, I have to play in front of these people,’” she said. “I was so nervous. And then you get in there, and you realize ‘yeah, this isn’t a big deal.’ And when you’re done, you think ‘thank God that’s over.’”

After her performance, Topliff was feeling pretty relieved as well.

“I actually felt very calm afterwards,” she said. “I knew no matter what my score was, I’d be happy, because I’d given the best performance I could.”

McCarthy looked back to her previous experiences with Solo Ensemble.
“My solo was a little harder, and I got to do a duet with my friend this time, which we had a lot of fun with,” she said. “My score didn’t change much, but I feel like I improved.”

Both she and Topliff are enjoying the competitive season.

“I love all seasons of band, but Solo Ensemble is one of my favorites,” Topliff said.
Marching band, however, holds a particular appeal for McCarthy.

“I play picadillo during marching season – it’s basically the smallest instrument you can play,” she said, which gives her significantly less to carry than her bandmates with heavier marching instruments.
“Everyone’s like, oh, yeah, you have such a hard job. The tubas have it so easy.”

Looking to the rest of the band’s year, the two are optimistic about what’s to come.

“I’m excited to go to state, I think we’re going to do very well.” Topliff said. “I think – well, I’m biased – but we’re so close to each other. We’re not fighting all the time, we get things done.”
“I’m really proud of everybody in the band,” McCarthy said. “I know there were a lot of great performances at Solo Ensemble.”

In March, McCarthy, Topliff, and the Grand Haven band will proceed to the State Solo and Ensemble Festival, where I have it on good authority that they’ll continue their streak of success.