First Blood Drive of the Year Scheduled for Tomorrow

File Photo
HELPING HAND: A student prepares to give blood. Doing so can save up to three lives. The blood drive will take place tomorrow in the Auxiliary gym.

The first blood drive of the year will be on Sept. 26, and it will be held in the Auxiliary gym. Tony Snyder and the National Honors Society will be taking over after Todd Diedrickson retired last year. There will also be drives in December, February and April.

“A lot of kids that aren’t eligible right now because they don’t have early birthdays might be eligible for upcoming ones,” Snyder said.

You must be 16 years old to donate, and you must have your parents sign a consent form if you are under 17. You can sign up for a time slot with the QR code below.

The goal is around 50 donors and each donation can save up to three lives. If you give blood five times before you graduate, you receive a red honor cord that you wear at graduation.

All students who plan to donate need to bring an ID with a photo and a birthdate, preferably a driver’s license. It is also advised that students eat and hydrate before donating.

“Right now we’re in a blood emergency,” Snyder said. “ Blood banks all across the state are low on blood. So we’re calling for a lot of people to come donate.”