Rah, rah, WRONG

Courtesy Photo

Senior Kathryn Jaeger (far left) poses with her friends in their custom designed T-shirts. The shirts read “Kathryn Jaeger ruined the fight song” on the front and “Rah, rah, wrong!”

Julia Drabczyk, Reporter

When something gets you down, make a T-shirt about it. This was senior Kathryn Jaeger’s mindset when a video was posted on Facebook that bashed on Jaeger about how she sang the buccaneer fight song after the first pep assembly. It was mentioned that the song sounded more like a musical rather than a fight song.

“At first I was kind of offended, but to be completely honest I actually thought the video was kind of funny,” Jaeger said.

Jokingly, Jaeger and her friends mentioned creating T-shirts to post on Twitter, to have a laugh over the situation. The shirts have a picture of Jaeger crossed out on the front with the words, “Kathryn Jaeger ruined the fight song!” On the back in bold font it states “rah, rah, wrong!”

One of her friends, senior Gavin Tenbroeke, was actually the designer of the T-shirts. He joked about the shirts on social media.

“If enough people were to buy the shirts then we will ship Kathryn off to Cuba,” Tenbroeke said on Twitter.

After a few posts were out, people started to become interested in the shirts. What was once a joke, shortly became reality. Once 44 people had bought them, they decided to wear them the day of Homecoming pep assembly. More and more people noticed, many curious and unaware of the meaning behind the shirts.

“Once I explained the story to people and teachers, they thought it was so funny and loved how I was taking it, instead of getting myself down,” Jaeger said. “We do not intend it to be a silent protest against anyone, we just thought it would be funny.”

Jaeger wanted to spin the situation into something more uplifting and funny to show that the video did not hurt her. A lot of Jaeger’s creativity stems from her sense of humor.

“I am not the most serious person,” Jaeger said. “A lot of my creativity is ‘how can I make it funny?’”

While having this positive mindset and personality, Jaeger looks into her future singing career.

“It is what I love to do and what I want to go into for the future, like musical theater and perform or teaching,” said Jaeger. “That is what I am happiest doing.”

The student did apologize for making the video about her through Twitter. Now Jaeger continues to spread her uplifting spirits. 

“This is not a ‘we hate Kathryn thing’,” Jaeger said. “This was a funny thing. I only sold it to people who were on my side, which happened to be 44 people, which was super awesome.”